Sunday 13 November 2011

Sizing things up

Yesterday, I went clothes shopping for new gear, especially for work as I'm running out of borrowed clothes that fit. So, I met my stylist, the lovely Steph (Wardrobe Angel) and headed off for a small boutique on the edge of Stockport. As I'm investing in a new wardrobe (being at my target weight, give or take a couple of pounds) I wanted things that would be a bit different and a bit quirky - like me perhaps.

Armed with a rail of clothes, I headed into the changing room for the "Great Trying On Session". After chosing a few things that fit lovely and look great, I had a bag of finds. But I still have no idea what size I am. I have 12s, 14s, L and XL. But at least I've had a lovely shopping experience and a cup of tea (thanks Tracey!).

We head of to Boundary Mill (I love this place - lots of brands under one roof, discounted pricing and some of the lovliest staff in retail). With a shopping trolley full of items, it's off to the changing rooms again - and again I am confronted with a myriad of different sizes! In some brands I'm a 12, in others a 16. I know I'm pear shaped and definitely at least a size bigger on the bottom (so shift dresses are out for me) but surely a jacket is a jacket and the size should be standard. Grrrr. It just wastes too much time trying on three of everything to find the right size and is demoralising when you think you're a 12 and turns out you're a 16 for some brands! Hmph.

So I think there should be a conversion chart somewhere, that takes an average sized woman (I believe a size 14) and lists her size in all the brands so you can see what the equivalent size in brand is. Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment