Wednesday 28 September 2011

Lunchtime Haven

Today's lunchtime walk took me up the street to St Stephen's Church, which was having an open day (every Wednesday apparently). I thought I'd have a look inside.

I'm not a particularly religious or spiritual person, but I do love churches. I love the architecture, the monument to human effort and the sense of tranquility they provide. And St Stephen's was no exception.

There were volunteers on hand to talk about the church, it's recent renovations and the preparations for harvest Sunday. And there were offers of tea, cake and biscuits (which I politely declined). It was nice to be reminded that there are places like this, full of people who are ready with a kind word and a kind deed for a total stranger. Somehow, despite not having a cup of tea, I feel more refreshed after my walk today.

Except that I discovered my favourite red shoes are a bit too big.

No comments:

Post a Comment