Monday 26 September 2011

Diet Coach

One of the things I've had to do for the Beck plan is to appoint a diet coach. I've chosen my middle sister who practices CBT.

I had my first check in with her today, and she's given me a useful technique to practice to help stop unplanned eating. I have to visualise something that I can associate with STOP (I chose a stop sign) and then use this to signal HALT (so I converted it to a Halt sign).

When I feel like eating, I have to ask myself 4 questions - do I feel:
  • Hungry or thirsty?
  • Angry or irritated
  • Lonely or bored?
  • Tired?
If the answer is anything except hungry, then I have to deal with that issue first BEFORE having something to eat. So, if I'm thining of eating but it turns out it's because I'm lonely, then I should call someone for a chat (or go online to the forum etc).

Anyway, I thought I'd share this as it seems like it will be a very useful technique. In the meantime, I've changed my PC background to a halt sign so it will remind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment