Friday 12 August 2011

Thai Green Curry - part 1

Making Thai green curry for dinner tonight, experimenting with a new coconut sachet (the one I turned into a bounty earlier in the week).

Ingredients for the paste:
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp fresh coriander stalks (save the leaves for garnish)
green bit of 2 spring onion
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon (we're not allowed lime!)

Whizz all this up in a food processor - I have a tiny one, but you could also use a pestle and mortar and work those bingo wings!

For the sauce:
1 sachet coconut drink, made with 100 ml water, so it is thick and stiff

For the veg:
You can use what you like, but I put 125g courgette and 1/2 aubergine in the curry, and served with 75g green beans. Depends what you have or like. I griddled my aubergine first, because that's the way I like it and it means it doesn't absorb all the oil.

To make:
Cook any accompanying veg whilst you make the curry, which takes about 10 mins from this point.

Fry the courgette (or other veg of your choice) in 1 Tbsp oil until they start to soften.
Add the green curry paste and allow the flavours to develop and mingle.
Add the aubergine and stir everything round.

Just before you're ready, tip in the coconut and stir in. It will melt, but don't overcook it. Mine didn't split, but I wasn't taking any chances! When it's all melty (and it goes a bit stringy like melted cheese) tip it into a serving dish with your other veg and garnish with the coriander leaves.

You could add Thai basil, but I didn't have any, and in the original recipe they added sugar, so you could add sweetener, but I don't think it needs it.

Mmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment