Saturday 20 August 2011

Cottage Challenge

Last night I was challenged to make something using the beef and onion soup mix. So I experimented tonight and made cottage pie.

I roasted 150g swede (spelled t.u.r.n.i.p. in the NE apparently!) in the oven to make the mash on top, mixing it with 1/2 Tbsp olive oil.

The base was 50g mushrooms, 1 stick of celery, green part of 3 spring onions and half an aubergine - all diced and sweated in 1/2 Tbsp oil, with some dried mixed herbs and a shake of garlic powder. I added a drop of water and cooked in a frying pan with a lid on, to keep it all juicy.

When the veg was cooked, I made up the soup with a tiny bit of water, so it was only just mixed, but not liquid. I then stirred this into the veg mix, and it made a really savoury, meaty base (umami as they say!). Then I got a bit cheffy and put it all together using one of those chef's rings - I would have made it in a small, deep pie dish, but then you wouldn't have been able to see it in the photo!

All served with runner beans. It was lovely and peppery with the swede, and savoury with a beefy taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment