Thursday 28 July 2011

Playing Games

Had a bit of a trauma last night, thought I'd share...

Lovely night out in Leeds with some other Alizonne Ladies (who are just wonderful!) followed by a very pleasant drive back home over the pennines along the M62. The sun was setting, the stereo was turned up - you get the idea.

I got in the house about 10.30, elated, excited and generally a bit bubbly (my dad would have called it garrulous in his day!). Hubby was in the bath and the cat was lying full stretch on the living room floor.

But he wasn't moving

First I thought the worse, then I noticed he was breathing, but staring really strangely and the TV cupboard.

Then he dived under the cupboard!

Now you may have seen pictures of my 6.5kg cat - he's a big boy, and our cupboard is not so high off the floor. He flattened himself like a black furry pancake with legs.

Something was under the cupboard.
Something small and squeaky!

There then ensued an hour long game of cat and mouse, with me, hubby, cat and the tiniest mouse I've ever seen. I got a wooden sword from the hall (best place to keep them) and was poking about behind the cupboards. Hubby got out of the bath and came into the living room wearing a bathrobe and brandishing a wooden sabre (from the hall where the sword was of course). We kept driving the mouse out from behind furniture. The cat kept catching it, then letting it go again. He obviously had a differnt idea of the end game to me (in my version, the cat catches and then kills the mouse). Sometimes the mouse would run away again, sometimes he'd turn and face the cat, rear up on its hind legs and waggle it's paws in the air. I swear it was saying "Come on then you wuss"!

The cupboards got moved, the world's heaviest sofas got moved, the pewter fire fender under the sofa got moved (don't ask). Everything that was on the floor got put onto the sofas - we looked like we'd been done over. It's probably one of the best workouts I've had in ages.

Every now and then the mouse would run under the clock (as if he was aufait with children's nursery rhymes and felt this would save him). Every now and again my useless cat would flop down and stop playing.

I have a cat shaped door stop in the living room that made a better job of catching and keeping hold of the mouse that the whiskers muncher did.

In the end, we got a mousetrap out, baited it with peanut butter (mmmm... peanut butter) and went to bed (it was 11.30 by this time, and we were shattered).

The cat was put out in disgrace - we're not feeding him anymore to see if hunger improves his skills any.

This morning the trap was empty, no sign of mouse, and the cat was curled up asleep on the sofa.

What can you do?

So, I spend the hour before bedtime brandishing my wooden rapier at a teeny weeny mouse and trying not to fall over my idiot cat.

Have a good day everyone,

No comments:

Post a Comment