Tuesday 17 April 2012

One Year Ago...

 
One year ago today I was nervous about my first day on Alizonne. It was the night before my first weigh in and treatment. I'd seen the doc, I knew what to expect (kind of) and I was very determined.

Tonight, I've just come home from my 4th monthly check in since reaching target at the end of November. I'm over 38kg (6 1/2 stones) lighter. I'm a size 12/14 not a size 22/24. And I feel fabulous. (and just 1 kg over my target - but it's "TOM" if you know what I mean).

According to many, I also look fabulous (and I'm very happy to take that compliment, thank you!)

This week, Real People will publish my story - comparing my weight loss journey with that of my big sister, who had a gastric bypass. (It's out on Thursday, and we're this month's centrefold - now I never thought I'd be the centrefold in a glossy magazine!).

I've changed my eating habits - having 4 or 5 smaller meals rather than 2 or 3 big ones. I've also changed what I eat, with much less bread and carbs (and drink) and more fruit and veg.

I'm no paragon of virtue; I did demolish some Easter Eggs, I have the occasional chippy tea - but they are not habits, just treats that are offset by generally eating much healthier.

I now know people who never knew me when I was fat. They think I've always been the slim me, and that feels wierd.

My head still hasn't caught up with my body. I'm still reaching for larger sizes in shops, and I still get surprised by my reflection or photos.

But I have so much more energy, I'm no longer scared by stairs, long walks uphil - or by high heels!

I'm not pretending it was easy (or cheap) but for me it wasn't as difficult as some. I don't have children, my husband is away a lot, and I have really (REALLY) supportive family and friends, and I'm in control of my own schedule most of the time.

And I made some great friends along the way (you all know who you are and I love you).

So if you're just starting out, good luck - enjoy your journey and make the most of it.

To all those who went before me, thanks for the inspiration, the tips and the support.

Good luck everyone,
take care,
Dawn

1 comment:

  1. HI Dawn, Well done 16 weeks at target eating real food fantastic.

    You have been a great inspiration to me as you can feel quite isolated on the plan. I have now lost 4 stone I can't belive it that I have stuck to it and lost so much weight. I have 1 stone to go to get to my initial target of 11 stone I can' wait to see what size clothes I will be buying bought some size 14 tops today what a great feeling. Well done to you.
    Kind Regards
    Anne (Sachet)

    ReplyDelete