Saturday 28 April 2012

Leading a normal life

Now that I'm maintaining (rather than dieting to lose weight) I lead more of a "normal" life - my food choices are now only restricted by my own judgement - rather than by a strict list.

And so yesterday I found myself faced with sticky toffee pudding.

It had already been a busy day; lunch out whilst shopping with Wardrobe Angel saw us in Carluccio's with a pile of pasta - she's doing the Manchester Marathon on Sunday, and is carbo loading. So we had pasta between us - but with a side salad for me, so I could fill up on salad while enjoying some pasta, but didn't need to eat lots of pasta to be satisfied.

It also helped that we had pasta to share, so it was in a serving dish and not actually on my plate - meaning I could decide my own portion size. Having said that, I'm sure I worked lots of the calories off doing the length of the Trafford Centre and getting dressed and undressed about a million times!

I got home just in time to get ready to go out again - to a Cricket Club pre-season fundraising dinner. Then off to the White Hart at Lydgate, where the food is excellent, even for large functions.

After a goat's cheese salad and some beautifully moist chicken, dessert arrived - the most delicious, light, sticky toffee pudding you've ever had. Well, I had to taste it - but that was all - I ate less than half and then put my spoon down.

At one time, I would have eaten it all - and perhaps helped someone else finish theirs - it was so lovely. But I was already satisfied, and didn't want to be "stuffed", so I left most of it.

And do you know what - nothing happened - nobody died, I didn't get struck down by lightening, there was no vengeful wrath from the chef. And I felt good.

I just thought to myself "I cannot eat all of this, on top of what I've already had today, and still fit in this lovely dress I'm wearing, so I have to chose. Slim or pudding?"

And I chose slim!

No comments:

Post a Comment